You want your knives to be razor sharp, follow these tips for a lasting edge.
- Washing knives in a dishwasher – It is best to wash your knives by hand if you want to keep them razor sharp. In the dishwasher a knife can become dull from hitting against other utensils, detergents, and heat.
- Not cutting on a cutting board – As mentioned before if you’re doing any food preparation it is important to cut on a wood or bamboo cutting board. Cutting against the wrong surface can lead to a dull edge.
- Storing knives in a drawer – Keeping your knife in a drawer without proper storage can lead to scratched or damaged blades. Every time you open or close the drawer other utensils can run against the blade. The blade can easily cut you if stored in a drawer also.
- Wash the blade after use – If you let acidic foods’ juices sit on the blade it can corrode the metal, so it’s best to wash and dry your knife right after use.
- Keep your knife sharp – Keeping your knife sharp is an important part of ownership, a dull knife can cause you to cut yourself due to the extra force required to cut through food. Check out our knife sharpening tips.
- Properly store your knives – Keeping knives in a block or on a magnetic strip insures that the edge will stay in up kept condition.
With proper care a knife can last an entire lifetime.